I have a recurring dream that goes like this:
In my dream, I am in
1) a newly discovered Goodwill or Salvation Army Thrift store that has just been stocked with items and that nobody else knows about
2) an old department store, drug store, Five and Ten, etc., that has allowed me to go back in the old rooms to find "new old stock" from years gone by
3) a fully loaded antique store with great items, great prices, and I am the only one who shows up to shop
4) a yard sale at a very old house and I am the first person who shows up to buy the virgin contents of countless treasures
In my dream, I
1) start gathering armloads of of wonderful old items
2) start gathering piles of wonderful old items
3) start bringing armloads and armloads of wonderful old items to a counter
4) start putting armloads and armloads of wonderful old items into the back of my car
In my dream, I always say to myself
1) "Well the other times have only been dreams, but THIS time this is real."
2) "I am so glad I am not dreaming this time."
3) "Finally--my dream comes true."
My dreams usually ends where
1) I can't find the cashier and I wake up.
2) Other people start coming in to shop and I wake up
3) The goods aren't as old as I thought they were and I wake up
4) A truck full of dealers beats me to the stuff and I wake up
Get the gist? I never actually GET the stuff. Reality always comes in the morning.
So imagine my vicarious thrill, not to mention envy, when I read in this article in this morning's New York Times that two women from Indiana came upon an old Zebra striped suitcase at a yard sale, filled with actual photos and papers from one Arthur Felig, AKA Weegee the famous photographer of New York’s darker side. Whoa! Isn’t that kind of discovery the things that dreams are made of? More than antiques, more than great old funk, I dream of finding that lost piece of art or ephemera.
So, this is what I have learned: treasure hunting dreams CAN come true, even if they come true for someone else.
Think I’ll step up my yard sale attendance this weekend.....