I love it when all the bloggers I read on a daily freakin' basis take the time to give us a peek into what makes them, well, who they are. I think the fact that I like this is very much in keeping with my nosiness about studios and work spaces.
And then this morning I found in my own blog comments section a "tag" from Ms Mac at Check It Out ! So , even if I am not showing my studio quite yet, as I wait for it to reach a crescendo of typical chaotic madness, I 'll offer a peek into my "inner work space", so to speak.
And, for the record, in a meme each player lists 8 habits/facts about themselves, then tags others at the end of her post.
Here are 8 things:
1. I obsess about the passing of time. I have done this since I was a little girl. I have always loved looking at old photos, old film, and books about archeology. I buy books of photography by the arm load that show scenes of everyday life from many years ago. I wish I could really have a time machine. I used to look for abandoned old houses to go into all the time.
2. Because I think a lot about time passing, it figures that I collect a lot of old crap. And that collection runs the gamut and seems to expand to include more and more varieties of new old crap all the time. I learned to collect old crap from my mother and my grandmother, both of whom saw infinite beauty in the fact that something was old. Of course, they never called it crap.
3. I have a degree in art education, but I have never had a school job. When I graduated from college in the mid seventies, there were no teaching jobs available--especially art ed jobs. So I stuck to puppets and dolls and art in one form or another. And 35 years of making art have passed. And I don't know where those years went either.
4. I LOVE LOVE LOVE dogs and cats and will stop to pet any dog or cat I see. Always have my whole life. Now that my kids are getting older I have a dog again and I am so glad because I didn't realize how much I missed having one. My dog is dumber than dirt and not well trained. Don't care. Love her anyway.
5. I love everything Elvis and have decided he really was a KING. I came to this conclusion only in the last two years. Still love the Beatles, of course.
6. I wish I could sing well, but I can't. Of course, that still doesn't stop me. I sing all the time when no one is listening. I especially sing well when I have had a glass of wine or two, and the music is Motown. Or I try to sing like Ella. But I also often pretend I am in Guys and Dolls singing the part of Adelaide to Nathan Lane's, Nathan Detroit. I watch the 1950's movie Guys and Dolls over and over again, and pretend I can dance, too.
7. As a kid I was very good reader but a very reluctant one. I think I was pretty ADHD, fueled by lots of sugar when I was growing up. I didn't read my first chapter book until the end of fourth grade. I only did Golden Books before that. Libraries were not part of my family's experince.
8. No matter how many times it comes on HBO, I will watch Goodfellas. I will come in on any point in the film, and watch it over and over again. My husband and I frequently quote lines from the script and feel like we are in scenarios from the film. I especially felt this way when my kids were younger and I was going crazy with muti-tasking. Like the part in the movie, where:
... Henry Hill starts his day very early, and the helicopter is flying overhead, and he nearly has an accident on the way to pick up his brother, where the doctor feels he needs valium, and then he goes home and makes spaghetti sauce and meatballs and veal, and later Robert DeNiro's character Jimmy Conway won't buy his hot guns, but the guys from PA will, and the helicopter is still flying overhead, meanwhile Henry stops at his girlfriend's house after she cuts the coke, and his brother is still stirring the sauce in the pot, and Lorraine Braco's character Karen is talking all the time, and Henry has to go sell some more hot stuff, and listens as the smuggler gal says "yeah yeah" and then they all get busted....
Sometimes my days used to feel crazy like that...
And now I tag:
I have no idea if any of these people actually do meme's, but I am curious about them....